Planted aquariums are a popular and beautiful addition to reef tanks, however, they require careful attention to detail to thrive. One of the most critical aspects of a planted aquarium is the lighting system.
Proper lighting not only enhances the aesthetics of the aquarium but also provides the necessary energy for photosynthesis, allowing the plants to grow and thrive. With so many different types of aquarium lights available, choosing the right one for your planted aquarium can be a daunting task.
Whether you’re a seasoned aquarium enthusiast or just starting, understanding the importance of proper lighting for your planted aquarium is crucial to creating a thriving ecosystem for your fish and plants.
Types of Planted Aquarium Lights
There are several types of planted aquarium lights available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most common types of planted aquarium lights:
- Fluorescent Lights: Fluorescent lights are a popular option for planted aquariums due to their energy efficiency and wide range of light spectrum. They are available in different colors and spectrums, making them suitable for various types of plants and aquatic life. However, fluorescent lights tend to have a shorter lifespan compared to LED lights.
- LED Lights: LED lights have become increasingly popular in recent years due to their energy efficiency, long lifespan, and customizable features. They are available in different colors and spectrums, making them suitable for various types of plants and aquatic life. LED lights are also adjustable and dimmable, allowing you to control the intensity and spectrum of the light.
- Metal Halide Lights: Metal halide lights are a high-intensity lighting option that provides a high level of brightness and heat. They are often used in larger aquariums with deep tanks and high light requirements. However, metal halide lights tend to be more expensive and consume more energy than other types of planted aquarium lights.
- Compact Fluorescent Lights: Compact fluorescent lights are a more affordable option that provides a spectrum of light suitable for plant growth. However, they tend to have a shorter lifespan compared to other types of planted aquarium lights and may require more frequent replacement.
When choosing a planted aquarium light, it’s essential to consider the size of your aquarium, the type of plants you have, and the amount of light required for optimal growth. It’s also crucial to maintain your lighting system by regularly cleaning the bulbs and fixtures and replacing them as needed to ensure that your aquarium’s ecosystem remains healthy and thriving.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Planted Aquarium Lights
Choosing the right planted aquarium light can be a daunting task, but considering a few essential factors can help you make an informed decision. Here are some of the factors to consider before buying planted aquarium lights:
- Aquarium Size
The size and dimension of your aquarium will determine the type and number of lights you need. A larger aquarium will require more lighting compared to a smaller one. Ensure that you measure the length, width, and height of your aquarium to determine the right size and quantity of lights.
- Plant Types
Different types of plants have different light requirements. Some plants require high-intensity light, while others need low to moderate light. Research the light requirements of the plants you have or plan to grow and choose a light that provides the necessary spectrum and intensity.
- Light Spectrum
The light spectrum is an essential factor to consider when choosing planted aquarium lights. Plants require a specific spectrum of light for optimal growth and photosynthesis. LED lights are available in different spectrums, allowing you to choose the one that suits your plant’s needs.
- Energy Efficiency
Planted aquarium lights consume a considerable amount of energy, which can increase your electricity bill. Consider choosing energy-efficient lights such as LED lights to reduce energy consumption and save on costs.
The cost of planted aquarium lights can vary depending on the type, size, and features. Set a budget and choose a light that provides the necessary features without breaking the bank.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right planted aquarium light that meets your needs and ensures the healthy growth of your aquatic plants.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you follow a link to purchase the products, I sometime earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
1. Senzeal X7
The Senzeal X7 is a high-quality LED light designed for planted aquariums. This light features a slim and sleek design that is perfect for those who want to showcase their aquarium’s beauty. It provides a bright and even distribution of light, which is essential for the healthy growth of aquatic plants.
- 84 high-quality LED lights – offer a full spectrum of light, including red, blue, green, and white, providing a balanced light spectrum for optimal plant growth.
- Dimmable LED Lights – allowing you to adjust the light intensity according to your needs.
- Suitable for tanks ranging from 24 to 36 inches long and
- Adjustable bracket – can be easily installed
- Energy-efficient – consuming only 30 watts of power making it an eco-friendly and cost-effective option.
2. Fishkeeper FK012-12W
The Fishkeeper FK012-12W is a high-quality LED light designed for small to medium-sized aquariums. It features a sleek and modern design that will enhance the aesthetic appeal of any aquarium. This light provides a bright and even distribution of light, which is essential for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. This high-quality planted aquarium light provides excellent lighting for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. It is easy to install, energy-efficient, and has a sleek design that will enhance the beauty of your aquarium. Its waterproof design and built-in timer function make it a convenient and practical choice for any aquarium enthusiast.
- Equipped with 12 high-quality LED lights – offer a full spectrum of light, including red, blue, green, and white,
- Balanced light spectrum – for optimal plant growth.
- Dimmable LED Lights – allowing you to adjust the light intensity
- Energy-efficient – consuming only 12 watts of power
3. NICREW N10372
The NICREW N10372 is a high-quality LED light designed for planted aquariums. This light features a slim and modern design that is perfect for those who want to showcase their aquarium’s beauty. It provides a bright and even distribution of light, which is essential for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. This top-quality planted aquarium light provides excellent lighting for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. It is easy to install, energy-efficient, and has a sleek design that will enhance the beauty of your aquarium. Its waterproof design and built-in timer function make it a practical and convenient choice for any aquarium enthusiast.
- Equipped with 72 high-quality LED lights – offer a full spectrum of light
- Balanced light spectrum – for optimal plant growth
- Waterproof design – safe to use in wet environments
- Built-in timer function – allows you to set the light to turn on and off at specific times
4. Aqueon 100533613
The Aqueon 100533613 is an excellent planted aquarium light that provides excellent lighting for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. It is easy to install, energy-efficient, and has a sleek design that will enhance the beauty of your aquarium. Its waterproof design and built-in timer function make it a practical and convenient choice for any aquarium enthusiast. It also has a built-in timer function that allows you to set the light to turn on and off at specific times, providing a convenient and hassle-free experience.
- Full spectrum of light – essential for plant growth
- Dimmable LED lights – for adjustable intensities and simulation of natural daylight cycles
- Energy-efficient – consumes only 17 watts of power
- Adjustable bracket – easy installation on tanks ranging from 20 to 48 inches long.
5. WILLS 165W-aquariumlight
The WILLS 165W LED light is a powerful and high-quality option for planted aquariums. This light provides a full spectrum of light, including red, blue, green, and white, which is essential for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. provides excellent lighting for the healthy growth of aquatic plants. Its high wattage, dimmable LED lights, energy efficiency, adjustable bracket, and waterproof design make it a practical and convenient choice for larger planted aquariums.
- High wattage – suitable for larger tanks up to 55 gallons.
- Equipped with 55 high-quality LED lights – offers excellent brightness and color saturation
- Even light distribution – due to strategic light placement
- Waterproof design – prevents accidental leakage and spillage
6. Lominie P80
Lominie P80 is primarily designed as a LED grow light for plants, but it can also be used as a planted light for an aquarium. It comes with full spectrum of light including a mix of red, blue, white, and infrared light. This spectrum is ideal for promoting plant growth and enhancing the colors of fish and other aquatic creatures. It is adjustable, allowing you to customize the duration and intensity of the light based on the specific needs of your plants and fish. This can help prevent overexposure to light and reduce the risk of algae growth in your aquarium.
- Full spectrum – great for plant growth and coloration
- Comes with efficient cooling system with silent operation
- Has waterproof features and a flexible bracket which is great for rimless and rimmed fish tanks
- Durable and reliable
7. Finnex HLC-48
This powerful and smart tool is designed for use in planted aquariums. It has several features that make it a popular choice among aquarium enthusiasts. It comes with a sleek design that looks great on any aquarium. It is made from high-quality materials that are built to last. It allows you to adjust the intensity of the light using a dimmer switch. This allows you to customize the light based on the specific needs of your plants and fish.
- Premium and high-quality LED that offer full spectrum of light
- Modern and sleek design
- Adjustment of intensity of the light using a dimmer switch – room for customization
- Comes with a remote and built-in sensor as well
8. HIRO AQUATICS
HIRO AQUATICS is a reputable firm that specializes in a range of high-quality aquarium products, including aquarium filters, lights, heaters, and more. Their products are known for their quality and reliability, making them a popular choice among aquarium enthusiasts. These lights are designed to promote healthy plant growth and enhance the colors of fish and other aquatic creatures. These lights come in various sizes and designs to fit different aquarium setups, and they feature adjustable intensity settings to meet the specific needs of your plants and fish.
- Full spectrum – enhance the growth of fish and coloration.
- Easily adjustable and flexible
- Great for aquatic plants
- Has a modern and sleek design that is aesthetically pleasing too
Another great option for you to explore in terms of planted aquarium light would be this super thin and smart LED aquarium tool that is ideal for freshwater planted tank. These lights come with seven bands of full spectrum to meet your needs. Besides that, it has a smart controller which you can use to adjust the intensity and control the sunrise and sunset timings. Also, it comes with a one-year warranty which can make it more convenient for you to buy and try it out.
- Smart controls with a controller to adjust sunrise, sunset, timer points, and a lot more
- Full spectrum with seven bands
- Thin and sleek design
- Safe and reliable
10. Fluval 14522
Last, but not the least, these planted lights by Fluval are a keeper. Not only do they feature programmable light cycle settings, but they come with unique band waves which are ideal for your aquatic environment. It is easily adjustable and reliable, owing to the tons of positive customer reviews as well. Moreover, it has optional pre-set habitat light configurations like tropical to meet the specific requirements too.
- Easily programmable light cycle settings with options of sunrise and sunset
- Full spectrum with unique band waves
- Habitat friendly pre-set configurations like tropical to meet your requirements.
- Durable and efficient
After considering various factors such as the type of plants, tank size, and light intensity requirements, the best planted aquarium lights are LED lights. LED lights are energy-efficient, provide a high light output, and can be customized to meet the specific needs of the plants in your aquarium.
Additionally, LED lights have a long lifespan and produce less heat than traditional lighting options, making them a safe and cost-effective choice for your planted aquarium. When choosing LED lights for your aquarium, look for products that have a color spectrum that promotes plant growth and a high PAR output to ensure your plants thrive.