Once you’ve got an aquarium or a fish tank, you’d want to add the best fishes, along with the best decor out there. Some people even like to add aquarium plants to the tank. When talking about fishes, it looks more beautiful when there is more variety.
While you’re deciding the best fish, Betta fish may also cross your mind. It is one of the most popular types of fish that thrive in freshwater and is a common choice for aquariums too. Owing to its unique looks, people love having one in their fish tanks too. That having said, it’s also important to understand what these fishes like and dislike. Before heading on to their likes and dislikes, let’s first discuss what Betta fishes are.
Betta fish also called Siamese fighting fish that is one of the most popular freshwater fish, owing to the beautiful colors and various shapes of the fin. They are low maintenance and easy to take care of. They’d be a great asset to your fish tank.
How Long Do Betta Fish Live?
Betta fishes can live for as long as 7 years if they are in a healthy environment. Some of the oldest Betta fish ever recorded, loved to the age of 10, and their lifespan can be extended if they are taken care of, in a healthy environment. Betta fishes are susceptible to developing fish illnesses which can shorten their lifespan and this can be because of improper treatment.
What Are The Main Characteristics of Betta Fish?
Betta fish are known to be one of the most aggressive freshwater fishes. They should not be kept with any specie. Hence research work on your end would be required. They are carnivores, hence their diet needs to be filled with protein. When the Betta fish is healthy, the tails grow and they’re widely opened which can make your aquarium look nice.
What Kinds Of Food Do Betta Fish Eat?
As mentioned above Betta fishes are carnivores. They need a diet that is rich in protein, hence they like to eat insects, worms, etc. However, you can’t just feed them insects. There are proper Betta fish food cans available in the market which are optimized for their protein needs and won’t make them bloat either.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Betta Food
Some of the key factors to keep in your mind before buying the final pick include the following.
- Protein Filled
Since Betta fish are carnivores, it’s important to include lots of protein in their diet. So, if you are looking for feed, it should be rich in protein like shrimp, fish, krill, etc. Choose the one that is rich in protein, rather than going for plant-based feed which is not going to be a high protein resource.
- Avoid Fillers
Some manufacturers add bizarre Fuller from plant materials to their products, which can be counterproductive for your Betta fish. Since plants are cheaper than animal-based ingredients, most manufacturers adopt this approach in making Betta food. Choose the ones that are high in animal protein and low in fillers. If you notice that there are more plant ingredients like rice and soy, you should choose something else.
- Sturdy Container and Lasting
Be sure to invest in the best kind of Betta food that will last you a good time and the container can keep the contents fresh too. Make sure the container is airtight and easy to store. Ideally, plastic would be best as glass is more susceptible to falling and breaking.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you follow a link to purchase the products, I sometime earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Without further ado, let’s head onto our list of the best Betta food options for you to try in 2024.
1. TetraBetta PLUS 77256
Quick view on Amazon
Available in: Australia, Canada, UK, and US
Ranking at the very top, this special formula comes with nutritionally balanced ingredients that will be ideal for your Betta fish. You can feed them this regularly as it is high in protein, along with omega-3 fats for optimal energy and growth. Another interesting thing about it is that it has color-enhancing properties which can make your Betta fish look super attractive as well.
- Will keep the water crystal clear.
- Comes with floating crisps for top water feeders.
- It comes with a nutritionally balanced diet that’s great for daily feeding.
- Rich in protein and omega-3 fats – great for energy and growth.
- Color-enhancing properties that allow beautiful coloration of your Betta fish.
- Airtight container.
2. GloFish AQ-78301
Featuring another great option in terms of Betta food that you shouldn’t ignore. This one’s a keeper. It is not only optimized for Betta fish, but it offers a nutritionally balanced diet for the fish too. It can be fed two to three times daily and it can bring color into your aquarium as well. It also has color-enhancing properties. Being rich in protein, you can be sure that your Betta fish will live a long and healthy life.
- A nutritionally balanced diet that is rich in protein and has shrimp content for healthy growth.
- Flake formula makes it ideal for other tropical fishes as well.
- You can feed this to them two to three times or as per their requirement.
- Color enhancing – can bring life into your fish tank.
3. Ultra Fresh
Presenting you with yet another great option for Betta fish and this one’s sure to steal your heart for your fish! This one comes with high palatability. It comes in a prawn flavor and is a blend of shrimp, vegetables, and seaweed. It can prevent your fish from bloating too. The perfect ratio of protein and fiber – Betta fish won’t be able to resist this. It comes with no artificial flavors or added fillers which makes it a very healthy choice for them.
- The perfect ratio of meat and veggies – a blend of shrimp, veggies, and seaweed.
- High-quality ingredients with no added flavors or colorings.
- Easy for the fish to digest and eat as the size is ideal for adult Betta fish to assume.
- It may take up to three minutes for your fish to consume this.
- Rich in probiotics which improves the Betta’s gut and immune health.
4. Fluval A6575
This Betta food option is surely a keeper. Not only is it economical, but it is space-saving and can be carried around too. You can keep it in a small drawer as it is compact. The container has nutrient-rich contents which include black soldier fly larvae and it is high in multiple proteins like salmon. This would be the ideal feed for the Betta fish as this one offers omega 3 fatty Acids, along with essential vitamins needed for optimal growth of the Betta fish.
- Nutrient-rich contents include fly larvae and whole salmon.
- Rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and a lot more.
- Improves skin, growth, color, and aging of the Betta fish.
- Offers a balanced diet that not only has protein but also essential minerals for them.
- Can be given to all Betta fish and not just adult Betta fish.
- Maximum freshness is maintained in the container.
5. NutriDiet 001000
Featuring nutritional Betta food that has a premium krill base and the highest quality ingredients that are sure to impress you. It excludes all the non-nutritional fillers like corn meal and brings you the best proteins. Not just that, but it also consists of carbohydrates, fat and necessary minerals for optimal functioning and growth of the Betta fish. They will love a long life as long as you feed them well and keep them in a good environment, hence this feed would be ideal!
- A premium nutritional feed with krill base
- High-quality ingredients and it eliminates fillers like cornmeal.
- Provides Betta fish with essential minerals, vitamins, as well as fat and carbohydrates which are needed for their growth and development
- Airtight and space-saving container
6. Hikari 19101
Presenting you yet another great option that you should try in terms of Betta food. This one comes with nutrition-packed features and is suitable for all kinds of Betta fish, whether it’s an adult or a small one. It offers the required minerals, fats, protein, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids that are required for optimal growth of the Betta fish. They also have color-enhancing properties which can make your fishes look beautiful. The size of the pellet is also great and useful.
- Designed for all kinds of Betta fish, even adult Betta fish
- Comes with nutritionally balanced ingredients that offer vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and carbohydrates for maximum growth
- Comes with colour-enhancing properties to make your fishes look attractive
7. Ocean Nutrition 212346543845
A premium option to consider would be this one in terms of Betta food. This one comes with natural ingredients and floating pellet food for top feeders. This is suitable for Betta fish that are six months or older. It offers great daily nutrition to them and supports excellent coloration. To make feeding easy for you, it comes with a mini spoon as well. It won’t pollute the water either.
- Comes with floating pellet food and offers great daily nutrition
- Packed with protein, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, etc.
- Supports vibrant coloration of the Betta fish which can make your aquarium look amazing
- It won’t pollute the water and it comes with a mini spoon to make the feeding process easier and more convenient for you
8. Aqueon Pro 100539589
Featuring another cool option to consider in terms of Betta food, this one comes with excellent packaging, an airtight container that keeps the contents fresh, and a nutritionally balanced diet for Betta fish. The pellet float to allow for surface feeding, without polluting the water. It also has color-enhancing properties to make your Betta fish look vibrant over time. It is also suitable for other fishes like paradise fish and gourami.
- Airtight container and good packaging
- Offers great nutritional feed that offers protein and lots of vitamins and minerals too
- The pellets float which enables surface feeding
- Color-enhancing properties that make your fish look amazing overtime
- Suitable for other fishes too
9. Wardley Hartz 01648
Quick view on Amazon
Available in: Australia, Canada, the UK and the US
If you’re still confused about what to buy, then this one should be your best bet. This Betta food comes with excellent packaging and an air-tight container that has an amazing nutritional feed for your Betta fish. It will not pollute your water, instead, it will provide your dishes with optimal health and vibrancy with its color-enhancing properties.
- Color-enhancing properties that can make your fishes develop vibrant colors and make your aquarium look beautiful.
- Supports optimal health and growth owing to the nutritional benefits that it brings like protein, minerals, and vitamins too.
- Air-tight container and great packaging that will keep the contents fresh for a long time.
Quick view on Amazon
Available in: Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US
Last, but not the least, this one is surely a keeper. It comes with floating pellets that won’t pollute the water and are easy to eat for the Betta fish too. They contain the key ingredients which enhance color and health of the Betta fish. The pellets are digested quickly and allow for maximum absorption too.
- Comes with floating pellets that won’t pollute the water and are suitable for surface eating.
- They are easily digestible and boost the immune system of Betta fish.
- Packed with essential nutrients to support the maximum growth of the fish.
Choosing Betta fish food isn’t very easy as it seems. Since these fishes require protein-rich contents, you must ensure you pick the ones without the filler, or at least the one that has less plant-based ingredients. You must also ensure that the protein in the Betta food is of high quality or else, it could make them sick. All in all, you’ll be able to find the ideal Betta fish food from the above picks as they tick off all the positives in our list. Best of luck with the hunt!