Home aquariums and fish tanks have gained immense popularity, with people exploring different options to light up the ambience of their living rooms.
Not only does a fish tank looks good, but the aquatic life living in the fish tank is a treat to watch.
However, an aquarium should not be bought just for fun, as it requires commitment, and by commitment, we mean maintaining the aquarium to retain its structural integrity and ensure that it’s a safe haven for marine life inside.
One of the most important aspects of fish tank maintenance that should not be overlooked is silicone.
Over time, an aquarium tends to loosen its structural integrity which is intact through the silicone of the fish tank. Whether you’re buying a new aquarium or you’re looking to make your existing one stronger, you need to buy a solid safe silicone for your fish tank.
What is Aquarium Safe Silicone?
All aquariums need maintenance and a crucial part of maintenance is to make sure that there is no leakage in the fish tank.
Leakage is prevented and countered by aquarium-safe silicone that binds the entire structure of an aquarium together, making sure that it does not collapse.
Hence, an aquarium-safe silicone is a sealant for a fish tank that makes sure that your fish tank is tied together in place, without any leakage or gaps.
How is Aquarium Safe Silicone Better?
Aquarium sealants like safe silicone are the best way to prevent and avoid leakage in your aquarium or fish tank.
The reason why aquarium safe silicone is the best option for binding the fish tank is because:
- Aquarium Safe silicone is saltwater and freshwater compatible
- Contain a specifically engineered formula that is designed to last under constant water submersion for an indefinite period of time.
- Aquarium Safe silicone is 100% safe and made from non-toxic materials ideal for aquatic life or marine habitat.
- Is designed to bind and hold the aquarium together like no other material.
How To Apply Aquarium Safe Silicone?
If you witness a leakage in your aquarium or fish tank and you want to repair your aquarium using aquarium safe silicone, then you need to follow certain steps to ensure applicative success.
It is also advised that you make sure to check other elements of your fish tank, making sure that the problem is only related to silicone application and not any other.
Here’s how you can apply aquarium safe silicone to your fish tank:
- Deplete your fish tank of water – First, you need to empty your fish tank and ensure that there’s no water left inside the tank, before starting off with the Aquarium Safe Silicone application
- Eradicate and strip previous silicone or sealant – the next step you’d want to perform is to remove the previous Application of sealant or silicone from your fish tank to make sure that the fish tank is free from residue or materials for the perfect application.
- Cleaning all Joints – after that, you need to check for rusty or dirty bolts to prevent any kind of obtrusion. Make sure to check for any bad joints and ensure that the joints are clean and held tightly.
- Apply Application (Inside) – this is where you’ll start with the application of the aquarium safe silicone, after following previous steps. However, don’t follow an unstructured manner, start applying the aquarium safe silicone from the inside of the fish tank first, and then make your way through all the corners. Make sure that there’s no gap that remains inside. After you’re done, you may want to hold for a few seconds to let the sealant dry.
- Apply Application (Outside) – once the inside application is done and the aquarium safe silicone has dried off, start applying the aquarium safe silicone from the outside, in a similar manner to that of the inside application. Again, make sure that there are no gaps or empty spaces and Cover fully and thoroughly.
- Wait Till It Dries – this step accounts for a little patience. After aquarium safe silicone application has been completed from the inside and the outside, wait for a few minutes to let the sealants dry completely for a safe and firm seal.
- Start filling Water – after you’ve waiting for the aquarium safe silicone to dry, you may start filling in the fish tank with water slowly.
- Check for Leakage – once you’ve filled your fish tank with water, start checking if there’s still any leakage. If you’ve followed all the steps correctly, then you won’t find any issue whatsoever.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you follow a link to purchase the products, I sometime earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Without further ado, let’s head onto our list.
1. Henkel 908570
First up, we have for you would be this simplistic, yet powerful silicone that can be used for sealing and repairing not just aquariums or fish tanks, but also door frames, vents, appliances and a lot more. This multipurpose accessory can be a handy tool to keep at home in case of emergencies and to fix things easily. It bonds ABS, ceramic, glass, plastics, rubber and a lot more.
- Aquarium friendly silicone that is deemed safe for the fish and the tank.
- The multipurpose solution can be used for other things like fixing door frames, windows, and even shoes and boots.
- It won’t crack, shrink or peel easily.
- Long-lasting and durable
2. Kraken Bond 100% Silicone Aquarium Safe Sealant
Featuring another safe sealant for your fish tank or aquarium, this one is a keeper. In case your fish tank ever leaks, you can use this in a small amount to repair it quickly. Besides that, the sealing will be non toxic which is safe for the fishes. Also, it works well with glass. Moreover, it won’t crack, change colour or shrink, owing to the strong formula. Additionally, it will offer a rapid solution and will not emit any chemicals either.
- Just a small amount is required to fix the leak in your fish tank
- Safe for fish tanks and consists of non toxic materials that won’t even emit chemicals after application – safe for fishes
- Waterproof boning allows sturdiness and long lasting touch
- Can be applied to glass, plastic and a range of other materials
- Works quickly with fast curing abilities
3. Akfix 100AQ
Another great sealant for your aquarium or fish tank would be this one. With precision and strong bonding of this sealant, you’re sure to experience a seamless experience when you’re applying it. You can seal even the most difficult areas to get to, without making the fish tank look bad. It is waterproof and won’t emit any harmful chemicals either. It will not discolour, crack or pull either.
- Precise and accurate application
- Waterproof seal that will last you a long time
- Bonds well with many materials like glass and even plastic
- Will not emit harmful chemicals – safe for the fishes
- Will not discolour, crack or pull
4. Gorilla Waterproof Caulk & Seal 8060002
Presenting you yet another great silicone and sealant for your aquarium that’s 100% waterproof and will last you a long time! It is not just reliable, but a great option for all fish tank enthusiasts. It seals out air and moisture and is a multipurpose solution for all your house needs. It will not discolour, crack or shrink either. Another great thing about it is that it is available in clear and white colours, so you can make your picks accordingly.
- Seals out the air and moisture entirely – ensures a strong bonding
- Multipurpose – can be used on many other products, besides just fish tanks (doors, windows, etc.)
- Won’t discolour, crack or shrink
- Waterproof and durable
- Available in two colours – clear and white
5. Marineland 31003
Featuring a powerful aquarium sealant that’s easy to apply and use for your fish tank. It consists of a tube style which allows for accurate application and it is 100% clear so it won’t even show if you’ve applied it. It repairs cracks and leaks on your aquarium in a jiffy. Just make sure the area is dry, before you apply it, for quick and best results.
- Easy to apply and use owing to the tube style
- Clear colour – won’t even show if you apply it
- Repairs leaks in the aquarium quickly
- The quick dry solution which will work in a few minutes
6. CRC Food Zone Silicone Sealant 14087
Featuring another powerful silicone sealant that you can use on your fish tank would be this one. It is known to be the market leader in terms of brand reputation and can be used on heavy-duty motors, tools and a lot more. It consists of grey colour and it is NSF certified for bonding and sealing. It consists of a durable formula that won’t emit harmful chemicals either.
- Excellent brand reputation
- NSF certified for bonding and sealing
- Durable formula that won’t wear off easy
- Will not discolour, crack or shrink
7. SELSIL Aquarium Silicone Clear Sealant SEL-AQ-300
This is also a great option for all aquarium enthusiasts. If you’re on a lookout for the best aquarium sealant, then this is the one for you. It is deemed as safe for fish and is aquarium friendly. It consists of a transparent colour that won’t show if you’re using it at the front of the tank. It consists of excellent quality and will create a strong bond that will be highly elastic and flexible too. It is resistant to ozone, radiation and extreme temperatures so it won’t discolour, crack or shrink.
- Works well on glass, plastic and a variety of other materials.
- Fish-friendly and aquarium friendly.
- Sturdy and durable material that will last you a long time.
- The strong bond which is resistant to ozone, radiation and extreme temperatures – won’t discolour, crack or shrink
- Quick curing time and will save your time
8. Aqueon Silicone Sealant 100165003
If you like to explore options in everything and silicone for aquariums are no exception, then keep on reading because you’ll eventually be able to find the one you like the most in this list. Taking an example of this powerful and waterproof seal which stops leaks in an instant, it’s a keeper. Furthermore, it won’t discolour, crack or shrink. It’s also easy to apply and has a long lasting, strong bond.
- Waterproof and durable which will stop leaks in an instant
- Easy application which is flexible and won’t discolour or shrink
- Clear colours but also available in black
- Can be used on saltwater and freshwater
- Comprises of non toxic materials
9. Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant ASI Aquarium Clear
Featuring a great way to fix all your aquarium leaks and won’t even disrupt your aquatic life, this silicone sealant is toxins free and consists of strong materials. It will create a durable bond and will last you a long time. It will heal your fish tank quickly.
- Forms strong and durable bonds on all materials
- Durable and will last a long time
- Non toxic – safe for your fish tank and fishes
- Can be used with fresh and salt water aquarium
10. Aquascape Black Silicone Sealant 29186
Last, but not the least, this premium and high quality silicone sealant is waterproof and is deemed as safe for your fish tank and fishes. It is UV resistant and won’t be affected by extreme temperatures either. It won’t discolour or crack. It can used on most of the materials like glass, ceramic and plastic.
- High quality and premium sealant
- UV resistant and can withstand extreme temperatures
- Won’t discolour, crack or shrink
- Quick repairing and it is waterproof
If you ever plan to buy a fish tank, you’re bound to experience leaks at one point in time. Hence to avoid that mishap, you should invest in a good and safe silicone sealant. The number one factor that you should look out for would be to see if the material is toxins free and safe for the fishes. You must create a safe and healthy environment within the fish tank to ensure their optimal growth.