A 5-gallon fish tank can be a great choice for those who are new to the aquarium hobby or for those who have limited space. While smaller than many other aquariums, a 5-gallon tank can still be a beautiful addition to your home.
Features of 5-gallon fish tanks:
- Size and Capacity
As the name suggests, a 5-gallon tank can hold up to 5 gallons of water. While this may not seem like a lot, it is still enough to keep a few small fish, shrimp, or snails. However, it’s important to keep in mind that a smaller tank size means that there is less water volume and therefore less room for error in terms of water quality and fish stocking. A 5-gallon tank is best suited for a single small fish or a few small invertebrates.
- Suitable Fish
Not all fish species are suitable for a 5-gallon tank. It’s important to choose fish that are small and do not require a lot of swimming space. Some suitable options include betta fish, shrimp, snails, and small schooling fish like neon tetras or guppies (with caution).
To set up a 5-gallon fish tank, you will need a few essential pieces of equipment. These include a filter, heater (if keeping tropical fish), thermometer, substrate, and decorations. It’s important to choose equipment that is appropriate for the tank size and the species of fish you will be keeping.
How to Set Up A 5 Gallon Fish Tank?
Once you’ve decided to set up your own fish tank, it is important to cycle the tank before adding fish to establish a healthy ecosystem. Cycling involves establishing beneficial bacteria in the filter media to convert toxic ammonia and nitrite to less harmful nitrate. This can take a few weeks, so it’s important to plan and not rush the process.
Here are some steps that you should follow to set up your 5-gallon fish tank.
Step 1: Rinse the fish tank with water.
First, you must rinse the fish tank with water, thoroughly and then allow it to dry.
Step 2: Place substrate on the bottom of the tank
Once you’re done rinsing the tank, you must place the substrate at the bottom. In case you’re unaware of what that means – substrate refers to the material that covers the bottom of the tank, such as gravel or sand. It helps to create a natural environment for the fish and provides a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow. Therefore, before adding substrate, make sure to rinse it thoroughly to remove any dust or debris.
Step 3: Install filter and heater.
You can either use a hang-on design when it comes to filters or any other standard one. Place the heater near the filter to ensure good water circulation and monitor the temperature regularly to make sure it stays within the desired range.
Step 4: Add decorations.
You can add props like artificial plants, rocks for your reefs, flowers, or anything that adds more beauty to your tank and imitates a natural environment for the fish.
Step 5: Fill the tank with water.
You must fill the tank with sufficient water for the filter and heater to work. There should be enough water for the fish to turn around freely.
Step 6: Add water conditioner.
Adding water conditioner is essential to remove chlorine, chloramines, and other harmful chemicals from tap water, making it safe for fish to live in. To use a water conditioner, add the appropriate amount to the tank, preferably, at a rate of 1 drop per gallon, but make sure to read the label to confirm the correct dosage. Allow the water to sit for a few minutes after adding the conditioner to give it time to work before turning on the filter and heater.
Step 7: Turn on the filter and heater.
According to the requirements of the fish (e.g., tropical fish), you can adjust the temperature and the flow rate of the filter and heater. This, however, does not mean that you do not have to clean the tank every two weeks, as it will still be required for you to do so.
5-gallon Fish Tank Care
As mentioned at the start, a 5-gallon fish tank can be a great choice for those who are just starting out in the aquarium hobby or for those who have limited space. However, it’s important to keep in mind that a smaller tank size means that there is less water volume and therefore less room for error in terms of water quality and fish stocking.
Here are some tips for properly caring for a 5-gallon fish tank:
- Choose the right fish – Not all fish species are suitable for a 5-gallon tank. It’s important to choose fish that are small and do not require a lot of swimming space. Some suitable options include betta fish, shrimp, snails, and small schooling fish like neon tetras or guppies (with caution).
- Avoid overstocking – A 5-gallon tank is limited in terms of space, so it’s important not to overcrowd it. Overstocking can lead to poor water quality and stress on the fish. A good rule of thumb is to keep no more than 1 inch of fish per gallon of water, but in a smaller tank like a 5-gallon, it’s best to keep fewer fish.
- Maintain water quality – Proper water quality is essential for the health of your fish. Regular water changes are a must in a 5-gallon fish tank, with a recommended schedule of 25% water changes every week. It’s also important to monitor the water parameters, including pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, and adjust as needed.
- Provide adequate filtration – A good filter is essential for keeping the water clean and healthy for your fish. Look for a filter that is appropriate for the tank size and fish you have, and make sure to clean or replace the filter media regularly.
- Decorate appropriately – Providing hiding places and decorations in the tank can help reduce stress on your fish. However, in a small tank like a 5-gallon, it’s important not to overcrowd the tank with too many decorations. Choose decorations that are appropriate for the size of the tank and won’t take up too much swimming space for your fish.
Properly caring for a 5-gallon fish tank requires careful attention to water quality, stocking, filtration, and decoration. With the right care and attention, a 5-gallon tank can be a great choice for those looking to keep a small aquarium and enjoy the beauty of fishkeeping.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. When you follow a link to purchase the products, I sometimes earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Without further ado, let’s head onto our list.
1. Koller Products AP15005-12FFP
This exquisite and compact 5-gallon fish tank kit includes everything you need to set up and maintain a small aquarium. The tank itself is made of clear, impact-resistant plastic that is durable and easy to clean. It has a convenient feeding hole on the lid and a built-in LED light that enhances the visibility of your fish and plants. In addition to the tank, the kit includes a power filter that provides effective mechanical and biological filtration to keep the water clean and healthy for your fish. The filter cartridge is easy to replace and helps to remove impurities, debris, and odors from the water.
- Helps to neutralize harmful chemicals and reduce stress for your fish.
- Easy to clean and durable
- Impact-resistant plastic with a built-in LED light
- Powerful filter – mechanical and biological filtration
2. Penn-Plax WW131
Another great option for all those who want to explore great 5-gallon fish tanks, this too, is worth considering. This one comes with a stylish and modern design. The tank is made of high-quality, clear glass that provides excellent visibility and a beautiful aesthetic. It has a curved front that creates a panoramic view of your fish and plants, adding depth and dimension to your aquarium. It also includes a powerful internal filter that provides effective mechanical and biological filtration to keep the water clean and healthy for your fish. The filter has adjustable flow rates and a quiet operation, making it easy to customize to your preferences.
- Stylish, sleek, and a modern design
- Premium quality glass – greater visibility
- Powerful filtration system
- Adjustable flow rates and noise-free operation
3. Aqueon LED 100544524
This fish tank comes with a modern and sleek design, along with advanced features to ensure the health and wellbeing of your fish. The tank is made of clear glass that provides excellent visibility and creates a beautiful and vibrant underwater environment. Additionally, it comes with a QuietFlow LED Pro power filter that provides efficient mechanical and biological filtration to keep the water clean and healthy for your fish. The filter has an adjustable flow rate and a patented BioGrid that maximizes the biological filtration area, resulting in a cleaner and clearer aquarium.
- Comes with QuietFlow LED power filter.
- Adjustable flow rate – greater flexibility
- High-quality glass – greater visibility and beautiful looks
- Compact and a space-saving design
4. Tetra Crescent 29003
Just by the looks of it, you can tell that this one’s a keeper. This fish tank offers a unique and stylish design that will complement any room. The tank has a curved front that provides a panoramic view of your fish and plants, while its seamless, contoured edges create a sleek and modern look. This modern fish tank comes with a Whisper internal filter that provides efficient mechanical and biological filtration to keep the water clean and healthy for your fish. The filter is adjustable and has a quiet operation, ensuring that your fish are not disturbed by the noise.
- Curved design – more attractive
- Excellent filtration system
- Quiet operation with adjustable filter
- Suitable for all kinds of rooms
5. Marineland ML90609
Having advanced filtration system, LED light, and included accessories, this fish tank makes an excellent choice for both beginners and experienced aquarists. This tank offers a clear and unobstructed view of your fish and plants, thanks to its advanced glass construction. The tank has a sleek and contemporary design that will complement any home decor, while its compact size makes it ideal for small spaces. Furthermore, it comes with a 3-stage hidden filtration system that provides efficient mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration to keep the water clean and healthy for your fish.
- Advanced filtration system comprising of 3 stages – chemical, mechanical and biological
- Sleek and a modern design
- Comes with a glass canopy and a feeding hole to conveniently feed the fish
- Helps in creating a healthy ecosystem via powerful filtration process
6. Fluval 10516A2
This fish tank kit features a lucrative package which includes all the necessary tools required to set up a beautiful aquarium. It comes with a compact and stylish aquarium kit designed to provide a comfortable and healthy environment for small fish and aquatic plants. It is made up of high quality and scratch resistant glass and has excellent filtration system which comprises of three stage filtration process. It also comes with LED lighting. The tank features a bright and energy-efficient LED lighting system that enhances the beauty of your aquatic plants and fish.
- High quality glass construction which is scratch resistant
- Energy efficient LED lighting system
- Robust filtration system
- Lucrative package that offers a stylish fish tank too
- Suitable for all rooms, especially for small spaces
A 5-gallon fish tank can be a great option for those who want to keep a small number of fish in a limited space. However, it’s important to keep in mind that the size of the tank limits the number and type of fish that can be kept in it. It’s important to choose fish that are suitable for the tank size, and to provide appropriate equipment, decor, and maintenance to ensure their health and wellbeing. With proper care and attention, a 5 gallon fish tank can provide a rewarding and enjoyable hobby.